"Additional concerns" raised over Kids Company

The Charity Commission says it has met representatives of the charity and is in touch with the police inquiry that started last week

Activities at Kids Company
Activities at Kids Company

Former staff members of the children’s charity Kids Company have raised a number of additional serious concerns with the Charity Commission about its management and governance, the regulator said today.

A spokeswoman for the commission said in a statement: "We have been in regular contact with the charity since early July over concerns that were unfolding in the public domain relating to the charity’s funding and governance.

"In recent weeks, additional potentially serious concerns were raised with us about the charity’s financial management and governance by ex-employees of Kids Company. Please note these concerns did not relate to safeguarding. 

"We have been in contact with the trustees in relation to these concerns, including meeting charity representatives. The charity has been responsible in its engagement with us. We are aware of the ongoing police investigations and are in open communication with the investigation team."

Last week, the Metropolitan Police announced that it had begun an investigation over claims of potential child abuse at the charity. The charity said last week that it was helping the police with its investigation.

In July, the Charity Commission contacted the trustees of the charity Kids Company to "urgently assess its funding position" after reports emerged that Camila Batmanghelidjh, its chief executive, was pressured by the government into stepping down.

The charity later said that Batmanghelidjh would take up the new role of president, but would continue to "play a central role" in its future development.

In April, three directors quit the charity over "extreme stress" caused by uncertainty over the charity’s funding. Batmanghelidjh said in a statement at the time that the charity was being "briefed against" and she did not understand why this was happening.

Over the weekend, The Mail on Sunday said that the charity was going to be streamlined and relaunched under a different name, following its recent difficulties. The article was based on sources close to the charity, the newspaper said. No-one from the charity could be reached for comment today.

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus