In an open letter to Brown, Acevo chief executive Stephen Bubb has called for the formation of a “high level advisory council of third sector leaders” as well as action on issues affecting the sector, such as climate change, local democracy, public service delivery and unclaimed assets. The full list is given below.
“We need Gordon Brown to embrace a new politics, the politics of the third sector as an equal partner in government,” said Bubb, commenting on his letter. “In his first 100 days, we want Gordon to set up a high level advisory council of third sector leaders – these leaders will have specific expertise on the key challenges facing Britain, both globally and locally, and will draw in the rest of the sector to help to shape government policy.”
Bubb added: “We need new ways for the Cabinet to listen to the voices of others through grass roots organisations – civil society voices must be heard if the Government is to promote political engagement, social justice and quality of life.
“Third sector organisations are able to articulate these voices and they should have a central role in driving national and local policy priorities, including the reform of public services.”
Acevo's ten challenges
1. Strong measures to tackle climate change, including working with the third sector to create sustainable communities
2. Statutory duties placed on local authorities to develop the third sector with emphases on stimulating local democracy and improving public services
3. Putting the third sector at the centre of public service delivery and reform
4. An ambitious target for transferring under-used assets from central and local government to the community-based third sector, as well as ensuring genuine independence in the distribution of unclaimed assets
5. Supporting third sector organisations in the aim of fostering national identity
6. Set a firm timetable for achieving the Millennium Development Goals, promoting sustainable development and tackling climate change
7. Invest in the development of third sector leadership and management
8. Set up high level advisory council to help shape government policy
9. Champion a giving society – encouraging tax efficiency through Gift Aid
10. Foster social entrepreneurship through the Social Enterprise Action Plan