Disasters Emergency Committee launches Nepal earthquake appeal

Phone lines for the appeal opened at midday today and a TV campaign will be launched through major broadcasters tomorrow

Nepal earthquake
Nepal earthquake

The Disasters Emergency Committee has launched an appeal to help survivors of earthquake in Nepal.

More than 3,000 have so far been confirmed dead as a result of the 7.8 magnitude quake that struck west of the country’s capital Kathmandu on Saturday. More than five million people live in the affected areas, the DEC said.

Phone lines for the DEC Nepal Earthquake Appeal opened at midday today, and donations to the appeal are also being handled from the DEC website. A television campaign will be launched through major broadcasters tomorrow.

Saleh Saeed, chief executive of the DEC, said: "The pictures and stories coming out of Nepal show families ripped apart by this disaster. Survivors are in need of medical help, shelter, food and water. In many cases, they have lost everything and our members are ready to help them rebuild."

The DEC brings together 13 aid charities, and its most recent appeal was launched in October last year in response to the Ebola crisis in west Africa.

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus