Domino's 'rounding up' donations through Pennies reach one million

Pizza customers have given £230,000 to charity through the scheme

Domino's donations
Domino's donations

Customers of Domino’s Pizza have made one million donations to charity through the Pennies micro-donation scheme since it was launched in 2010, it was announced yesterday.

The scheme, run by the Pennies Foundation, asks people who buy items by credit or debit card in shops or online if they would like to round up their bills to the nearest pound, with the difference going to charity.

Since becoming the first retailer to launch the scheme in November 2010, Domino’s customers have donated a total of £230,000 to charity, a statement from the Pennies Foundation said.

Seventy-five per cent of the money raised in the UK went to Special Olympics Great Britain, while 75 per cent of the money raised in Northern Ireland went to the Northern Ireland Children’s Hospice. The other 25 per cent was shared between other charities, including Shelter and the NSPCC

The most common amount donated was 1p.

The Pennies scheme is being used by seven other businesses, including Travelodge and Zizzi restaurants. So far, Pennies has raised almost £400,000 for 27 different charities, according to a spokeswoman, and people had donated through it 1.6 million times.

Lance Batchelor, chief executive of Domino’s Pizza, said: "In these times of economic hardship, it is heart-warming to know that people are still happy to share what they have."

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus