David Gold, chief executive of sector recruitment firm Prospectus, assesses which roles are in greatest demand among charity employers at the moment
Expert careers advice for sector professionals looking to improve job prospects or develop careers with their current employers
Experts say it takes planning and honesty with potential candidates if you want to recruit diverse trustees with a good balance of skills. Patrick McCurry canvasses opinion on how to broaden your board
Keith Mogford, chief executive of the agency Skills - Third Sector, has developed apprenticeship frameworks to give people a start in volunteer management, fundraising and campaigning. There have been mixed results, as Sophie Hudson finds out
Employers that give zero-hours contracts to some of their staff have faced criticism - but many argue that such contracts are not always as bad as they might first appear. Patrick McCurry investigates
Instead of joining the voluntary sector by getting a job, a number of people are doing it by founding their own social enterprises. Alex Blyth meets the start-ups
Many charities have seen the recession as a chance to woo staff from the private and public sectors. But what is it like to cross the boundaries? Emily Ford speaks to Tony Armstrong and two others who have moved into the voluntary sector
Managing upwards, money worries, qualifications: 10 experienced sector professionals tell Alex Blyth what people starting a charity career should know
- StepChange appoints Mike O'Connor as chief executive
- Caroline Mason appointed chief executive of the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation
- Teenage Cancer Trust appoints Siobhan Dunn as new chief executive
- St Mungo's chief executive Charles Fraser to step down in April
- Marie Stopes International appoints Simon Cooke as chief executive
- MS Society appoints new chief executive
- The Big Lottery Fund names Dawn Austwick as its new chief executive
- Mary Foulkes joins Children with Cancer UK as chief executive
- Jamie Livingstone promoted to head of Oxfam Scotland
- Barry Le Grys joins Blesma as chief executive
- D'Arcy Myers joins Allergy UK as chief executive
- Catherine Roche appointed chief executive of Place2Be
- Adrian Ramsay appointed chief executive of The Centre for Alternative Technology
The head of development at the charity talks about her career so far
Employment specialist Laurence O'Neill looks at best practice for employers in the third sector when communicating with employees on maternity leave and volunteers having children
Our columnist says the third sector tends to carry a lot of people who are bright, creative or very nice - but don't actually contribute very much
The director of grants and external operations at Seafarers UK recounts his week
The executive director of Reprieve, the charity that works on death penalty cases and tackles human rights abuses, recounts her week
The Northern Ireland manager for Sported, the sporting legacy charity of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, recounts her week
The commanding officer of the TS Royalist, operated by youth charity Sea Cadets, recounts her week
The director of communications and donor relations at Delete Blood Cancer UK recounts her week
Latest Careers Blogs
Charities are missing out on brilliant staff
Since launching Charityworks in 2009, there are two conversations I’ve had so many times...
The rewards of being relevant
Following the final episode of the superb police drama Line of Duty last...
Stop the revolving door of charity internships
I recently received an email from a highly motivated young woman...
The next chapter
February. The second chapter of a well-thumbed new year. Plans, hopes and resolutions...
Too many charities expect perfectly formed candidates to walk through their door
Do you ever get the feeling you don’t have time to write a to-do...
Theory versus practice – feedback on interviews
Maybe I’m just grumpy about returning to work, but I’m annoyed with people saying...
Don’t be the last crayon in the tub
I recall sitting in art class as a kid, perhaps six years old, and...
The sector needs to be making the right headlines
Headlines can often be twice the size of the story, and over the summer...
What it means to be a now-and-future leader…
Embarrassing anecdotes and opinions – we’ve all got them. For last month’s blog...
What does diversity really mean?
Last week, immersed in a Beckett novella, I suffered the ignominy of tripping on...
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development, Fundraising and Contracts Manager The Beth Johnson Foundation £30k + Benefits , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- UK Director Restless Development £41,370 gross per annum + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / Lambeth, London (Greater)
- HR Service Manager CAFOD £38,634 - £40,178 pa, London
- Insight Operations Manager ecdp £26,544 - £32,563 per annum , Chelmsford, Essex
- Head of Research Operations Arthritis Research UK £45,000 - £48,000 + Benefits, Chesterfield, Derbyshire