David Gold, chief executive of sector recruitment firm Prospectus, assesses which roles are in greatest demand among charity employers at the moment
Expert careers advice for sector professionals looking to improve job prospects or develop careers with their current employers
Experts say it takes planning and honesty with potential candidates if you want to recruit diverse trustees with a good balance of skills. Patrick McCurry canvasses opinion on how to broaden your board
Keith Mogford, chief executive of the agency Skills - Third Sector, has developed apprenticeship frameworks to give people a start in volunteer management, fundraising and campaigning. There have been mixed results, as Sophie Hudson finds out
Employers that give zero-hours contracts to some of their staff have faced criticism - but many argue that such contracts are not always as bad as they might first appear. Patrick McCurry investigates
Instead of joining the voluntary sector by getting a job, a number of people are doing it by founding their own social enterprises. Alex Blyth meets the start-ups
Many charities have seen the recession as a chance to woo staff from the private and public sectors. But what is it like to cross the boundaries? Emily Ford speaks to Tony Armstrong and two others who have moved into the voluntary sector
Managing upwards, money worries, qualifications: 10 experienced sector professionals tell Alex Blyth what people starting a charity career should know
- StepChange appoints Mike O'Connor as chief executive
- Caroline Mason appointed chief executive of the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation
- Teenage Cancer Trust appoints Siobhan Dunn as new chief executive
- St Mungo's chief executive Charles Fraser to step down in April
- Marie Stopes International appoints Simon Cooke as chief executive
- MS Society appoints new chief executive
- The Big Lottery Fund names Dawn Austwick as its new chief executive
- Kathryn Llewellyn appointed chief executive of Concern Universal
- Nick Bunting appointed secretary general of the Royal Air Forces Association
- Vicky McDermott joins Papworth Trust as chief executive
- Beccy Speight joins Woodland Trust as chief executive
- Movers: Antonia Swinson joins the Ethical Property Foundation as director
- Steve Rose joins Catalyst as chief executive
The head of development at the charity talks about her career so far
Employment specialist Laurence O'Neill looks at best practice for employers in the third sector when communicating with employees on maternity leave and volunteers having children
Our columnist says the third sector tends to carry a lot of people who are bright, creative or very nice - but don't actually contribute very much
The shadow minister for civil society recounts her week
The area service manager at the Charity for Civil Servants, the occupational charity for the civil service, recounts her week
The head of adult programmes at the charity that supports people affected by HIV in the UK recounts her week
The solicitor at the Royal British Legion's independent inquest advice service recounts his week
The detention case worker at Refugee Action recounts her week
Latest Careers Blogs
Stop the revolving door of charity internships
I recently received an email from a highly motivated young woman...
The next chapter
February. The second chapter of a well-thumbed new year. Plans, hopes and resolutions...
Too many charities expect perfectly formed candidates to walk through their door
Do you ever get the feeling you don’t have time to write a to-do...
Theory versus practice – feedback on interviews
Maybe I’m just grumpy about returning to work, but I’m annoyed with people saying...
Don’t be the last crayon in the tub
I recall sitting in art class as a kid, perhaps six years old, and...
The sector needs to be making the right headlines
Headlines can often be twice the size of the story, and over the summer...
What it means to be a now-and-future leader…
Embarrassing anecdotes and opinions – we’ve all got them. For last month’s blog...
What does diversity really mean?
Last week, immersed in a Beckett novella, I suffered the ignominy of tripping on...
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Fundraiser Spires £25,000 (negotiable for the right candidate), Streatham
- Chief Executive Harvey Nash c£80k, Crawley
- Chief Executive CTC- The National Cycling Organisation £72,500pa, Based in Guildford, Surrey
- Head of Community Fundraising St. Joseph's Hospice Salary: Band 7 £36,916 - £46,837 per annum inclusive, London
- Head of Individual Giving St. Joseph's Hospice Salary: Band 7 £36,916 - £46,837 per annum inclusive, London