Insight on aspects of giving and philanthropy by the Professor of Charity Funding at the Cass Business School. Cathy was formerly director of research at the Charities Aid Foundation and is the author of the annual Charity Market Monitor.
The Charity Commission's latest figures are more about new entrants to the sector than general financial health, writes our columnist
- Cathy Pharoah: The state and charities are increasingly interwoven
- Cathy Pharoah: The government should extend the online Gift Aid deadline
- Cathy Pharoah: Confusion over corporate reporting should be tackled by the government
- Cathy Pharoah: We should embrace open data - but with caution
- Cathy Pharoah: Hail to the Social Stock Exchange
- Cathy Pharoah: Giving circles show that charity can be very much a social activity
- Cathy Pharoah: Why the Cadbury family were wonderful
- Cathy Pharoah: Public trust - are we too complacent?
- Cathy Pharoah: There is no 'best' investment policy in the current economic climate
- Cathy Pharoah: Recent surveys are contradictory - so we need better data on fundraising
- Cathy Pharoah: Are we one sector or a series of sub-sectors?
- Cathy Pharoah: We need a new set of indicators for giving in the workplace
- Cathy Pharoah: Consolidation or growth? The sector struggles to resolve the contradiction
- Cathy Pharoah: The sector needs a common brand
- Cathy Pharoah: The place our third sector takes for granted is yet to be established in the Arab world
- Cathy Pharoah: Charities should pool data on the recruitment and retention of donors
- Cathy Pharoah: We need more innovative charities and fewer competing charity appeals
- Cathy Pharoah: Heed the case of Linda Kirk who tried and failed to get local social investment
- Cathy Pharoah: Mixed messages from George Osborne
- Cathy Pharoah: Gender's not the main issue - we just need leaders who provide leadership
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Policy & Communications PFRA (Public Fundraising Regulatory Association Ltd) c£50,000, SE1 0NZ
- Senior Consultant GatenbySanderson Competitive , London
- Chief Executive Officer The Matthew Project £41,282 - £47,420 pa, NR2 1DX
- Appeal and Fundraising Manager Prostate Scotland Salary £31,250 pro rata ., Scotland
- Head of Learning and Events Association of Charitable Foundations (ACF) 41,000, Central London
- UK climbs to sixth in league table of most charitable countries
- Do-it will be transferred to a partnership of organisations next Monday
- We could scrap the Charity Commission, says Labour's Margaret Hodge
- Charity Commission is failing in its key roles, says National Audit Office
- HMRC update to fit and proper persons declaration 'is too vague'
- New Philanthropy Capital says charities' costs are an unreliable indicator of efficiency
- Date: Sat 7 Dec 2013 - Sat 7 Dec 2013
- Venue: City University, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB
- Date: Thu 12 Dec 2013 - Thu 12 Dec 2013
- Venue: Holborn, London
- Date: Wed 29 Jan 2014 - Thu 30 Jan 2014
- Venue: Birmingham
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...