Insight on aspects of giving and philanthropy by the Professor of Charity Funding at the Cass Business School. Cathy was formerly director of research at the Charities Aid Foundation and is the author of the annual Charity Market Monitor.
Food banks allow people to give direct, personal help to the most disadvantaged; this should be celebrated, writes our columnist
- Cathy Pharoah: The diversity of the sector means we need a range of leadership styles
- Cathy Pharoah: How do we explain the growth in the sector's income?
- Cathy Pharoah: The state and charities are increasingly interwoven
- Cathy Pharoah: The government should extend the online Gift Aid deadline
- Cathy Pharoah: Confusion over corporate reporting should be tackled by the government
- Cathy Pharoah: We should embrace open data - but with caution
- Cathy Pharoah: Hail to the Social Stock Exchange
- Cathy Pharoah: Giving circles show that charity can be very much a social activity
- Cathy Pharoah: Why the Cadbury family were wonderful
- Cathy Pharoah: Public trust - are we too complacent?
- Cathy Pharoah: There is no 'best' investment policy in the current economic climate
- Cathy Pharoah: Recent surveys are contradictory - so we need better data on fundraising
- Cathy Pharoah: Are we one sector or a series of sub-sectors?
- Cathy Pharoah: We need a new set of indicators for giving in the workplace
- Cathy Pharoah: Consolidation or growth? The sector struggles to resolve the contradiction
- Cathy Pharoah: The sector needs a common brand
- Cathy Pharoah: The place our third sector takes for granted is yet to be established in the Arab world
- Cathy Pharoah: Charities should pool data on the recruitment and retention of donors
- Cathy Pharoah: We need more innovative charities and fewer competing charity appeals
- Cathy Pharoah: Heed the case of Linda Kirk who tried and failed to get local social investment
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Director of Finance and Administration Afghanaid circa £45,000, Afghanistan
- Head of Policy, Research and Public Affairs Shelter £49,053 pa plus excellent benefits, London, EC1
- Public Affairs Officer British Heart Foundation £28,000 p/a + 30 days holiday and benefits, London NW1
- Fundraiser Spires £25,000 (negotiable for the right candidate), Streatham
- Chief Executive Harvey Nash c£80k, Crawley
- Office for Civil Society consults on £40m fund to stop organisations closing
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service fined £200,000 after hacker accessed information
- Barnardo's trustees look into allegations against incoming chief Javed Khan
- Grayling attack on campaigning 'shows lack of understanding of the sector'
- Cabinet Office awards grant to Charityworks to develop sector talent
- Muslim charity event at Legoland cancelled after threats from far-right groups
- Date: Wed 12 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: Birmingham
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...