Insight on aspects of giving and philanthropy by the Professor of Charity Funding at the Cass Business School. Cathy was formerly director of research at the Charities Aid Foundation and is the author of the annual Charity Market Monitor.
The problem is not so much law-breaking as inconsiderate or bad behaviour in an area where it's hard to make meaningful rules, writes our columnist
- Cathy Pharoah: The church has found its voice on poverty and we should get behind it
- Cathy Pharoah: The diversity of the sector means we need a range of leadership styles
- Cathy Pharoah: How do we explain the growth in the sector's income?
- Cathy Pharoah: The state and charities are increasingly interwoven
- Cathy Pharoah: The government should extend the online Gift Aid deadline
- Cathy Pharoah: Confusion over corporate reporting should be tackled by the government
- Cathy Pharoah: We should embrace open data - but with caution
- Cathy Pharoah: Hail to the Social Stock Exchange
- Cathy Pharoah: Giving circles show that charity can be very much a social activity
- Cathy Pharoah: Why the Cadbury family were wonderful
- Cathy Pharoah: Public trust - are we too complacent?
- Cathy Pharoah: There is no 'best' investment policy in the current economic climate
- Cathy Pharoah: Recent surveys are contradictory - so we need better data on fundraising
- Cathy Pharoah: Are we one sector or a series of sub-sectors?
- Cathy Pharoah: We need a new set of indicators for giving in the workplace
- Cathy Pharoah: Consolidation or growth? The sector struggles to resolve the contradiction
- Cathy Pharoah: The sector needs a common brand
- Cathy Pharoah: The place our third sector takes for granted is yet to be established in the Arab world
- Cathy Pharoah: Charities should pool data on the recruitment and retention of donors
- Cathy Pharoah: We need more innovative charities and fewer competing charity appeals
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Trust Fundraiser Dorset Community Foundation £15,000 - 21 hrs per week (0.6 full time equivalent), Bournemouth
- Insight Operations Manager ecdp £26,544 - £32,563 per annum , Chelmsford, Essex
- HR Service Manager CAFOD £38,634 - £40,178 pa, London
- Chief Executive - Aberdeen University Students' Association Aberdeen University Students' Association Up to £65,000 + 33 holiday days + 8 bank hols + benefits, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- Head of Research Operations Arthritis Research UK £45,000 - £48,000 + Benefits, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Debra Allcock Tyler questions experience of new Charity Commission chief executive
- Charity Commission appoints Paula Sussex as its next chief executive
- Police in England and Wales record 270 charity fraud allegations in the final quarter of 2013
- London Marathon runner's death prompts surge in donations to the National Osteoporosis Society
- Big Lottery Fund board feared 'sustained drop in income' after Lotto ticket price doubled
- Charity Commission board member will lead Birmingham schools investigation
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Wed 23 Apr 2014 - Wed 23 Apr 2014
- Venue: Westminster
- Date: Wed 30 Apr 2014 - Wed 30 Apr 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...