Good practice, case studies, expert advice and tips for charity finance professionals on investment management for charities.
The respected economist and author says charities should look for fund managers who keep fees low, make few transactions and focus on the long term
The dramatic fall in income from government and corporate bonds has led many charities to invest in the property market. Mathew Little reports
The Charity Commission has launched a consultation on proposed changes to the rules on the investment strategies of permanently endowed trusts. Mathew Little reports
The church sold shares in Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation because of the phone-hacking scandal. Patrick McCurry reports on shareholding charities holding companies to account on ethical issues
Ethical investment has grown enormously in recent years and is now central to many charities' policies - but some large ones believe it will damage their financial returns. David Ainsworth examines the state of play
The head of Panahpur tells David Ainsworth it wants to commit all its resources to social finance
An update to guidance for charities on investment has introduced advice to protect them from the risks of the current economic crisis - but also relaxes the rules on social investment. Mathew Little reports
The volatile market has led the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation to rethink its investment strategy. Andy Hillier finds out where it is now placing its money
James Brooke Turner of the Nuffield Foundation says charities should set a strategy and stick to it
With interest rates historically low and inflation relatively high, it is a struggle for many charities to maximise their income. As part of our Third Sector Extra on investment, Patrick McCurry reports on how organisations can make their assets work...
Setting up a specialist sub-committee to handle a charity's investments can take the pressure off trustees with limited financial knowledge. But what are the risks of excluding most of the board from the process?
Some UK charities are shifting their investment portfolios from cash to equities in the hunt for higher returns; so why are their counterparts across the Atlantic moving in the opposite direction?
The value of charity investments fell by billions in 2008 but, as David Ainsworth reports, not everyone has been plunged into crisis
Recession is forcing foundations and trusts to re-examine their investments. John Plummer reports on the implications for grant-giving
We asked two investment managers to make the case for investing abroad and for sticking within the UK
Charity Finance Skills Zone
Expert advice and tips in specialist areas
John Hildebrand On Charity Investment
It's important to match income strategy against risk, says John Hildebrand of Rensburg Sheppards
- What do government cutbacks mean for your investment portfolio?
- It's best to think long term when making predictions
- Signs of growth offer hope to the former Celtic tiger
- Squeezing the most out of your money
- Let me count the ways that charities can boost income
- How can charities keep up with a rise in interest rates?
- 'Real' assets could be a life raft if inflation stays high
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Supporter Development Manager ActionAid £44,320 - £47,448pa, Central London
- Development Director Selwyn College Circa £56k- £65k , Cambridge
- Director of Fundraising (maternity cover) Help the Hospices circa £70,000, Kings Cross, London
- Business Development Manager Shelter £37,509 per annum, plus excellent benefits , London, EC1
- Head of Policy & Communications PFRA (Public Fundraising Regulatory Association Ltd) c£50,000, SE1 0NZ
- BLF sets up £150m community enterprise fund
- Charity Commission could be given new power to shut down charities
- Ministers will legislate to prevent tax relief for charities being used for tax avoidance
- More than half of people 'would donate more if the process was easier'
- Government to introduce new tax relief for social investment
- NCVO launches scheme to promote volunteering in care homes
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...