Recent criticism of the sector has prompted some to call for a body to protect its reputation. Andy Hillier canvasses whether that model could work here and looks at the US example.
Charity communications and campaigning news, in-depth reporting, best practice, expert advice and discussion, including advertising & publicity, branding & reputation and web sites.
Search ThirdSectorJobs.co.uk for roles in charity campaigning, communications and PR.
Latest Communications Good Practice
The charity's first legacy campaign brought wills to the forefront
The director of communications, policy and campaigns at Shelter says he is working on the charity's emergency Christmas appeal
The sector needs to find ways of ensuring there are impact and professionalism, while reasserting our direct links to our causes, writes our columnist
The charity, which supports deafblind people in Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Peru, Romania and Uganda, revamped its site to make it more engaging for visitors
Latest Communications News
- More than half of people 'would donate more if the process was easier'
- Do-it will be transferred to a partnership of organisations next Monday
- Northern Ireland regulator publishes guidance for trustees
- Charities must prepare for attacks on reputation, says PR expert
- RSPCA appoints strategic agency to improve public awareness of its work
- Sector urged to write to ministers in support of changes to lobbying bill
- List of top 30 charity chiefs on social media published
- Last chance to vote in the Third Sector readership survey
- Third Sector invites readers to give their views on the magazine
The League Against Cruel Sports The animal welfare charity is running an awareness campaign against repeal of the Hunting Act
British Red Cross The charity has launched a digital fundraising strategy to connect donors directly to humanitarian projects around the world
Movember The men's health charity has launched a campaign to champion 'Mo Bro Heroes' featuring the best moustaches on digital screens throughout the London Underground
Asthma UK The asthma charity has enlisted the help of celebrities such as Chris Tarrant, Barbara Windsor and Bill Bailey for its latest campaign
Breast Cancer Care The breast cancer charity has launched a new campaign to improve the information and support available on altered body image after breast cancer
How charities can measure and communicate their impact on their cause area.
Latest Communications Comment
Despite government protestations, it now looks as if the lobbying bill may have been intended to catch charities after all, writes Stephen Cook
The lobbying bill and restrictions on judicial review are the latest potential threats, writes Stephen Cook
The sector's concerns about the lobbying bill are justified, writes Andy Ricketts
The potential rebranding of Platform 51 shows that charities should not rush to change their names, says our online columnist
The winners: Help for Heroes, Chance UK, Sir Terry Pratchett and Prison Reform Trust's Juliet Lyon.
Expert advice & case studies on using digital media to campaign for change and communicate with supporters.
Rachel Hawkes On Digital Media
Rachel Hawkes: Google+ is going to offer lots of opportunities for charities to connect with supporters
The new social media network might not be open to business just yet, but charities should already be planning how they can use it, says our online columnist
- Rachel Hawkes: Top 10 tips for social media success for charities - part two
- Rachel Hawkes: Top 10 tips for social media success for charities - part one
- Rachel Hawkes: Mainstream social networks have the potential to help raise funds
- Rachel Hawkes: social technologies can help charities fundraise and gain supporters
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Trusts & Foundations Execucare £40,000, London
- Business Development Account Manager BBC Children in Need £Competitive, London
- Team Leader - Stowmarket Simplified Recruitment £18,340 per Annum + Enhancemen, Stowmarket
- Digital Media Officer - Health and Research British Heart Foundation c£27,000 p/a + 30 days holiday and excellent benefits, London NW1
- Team Leader - Lowestoft Simplified Recruitment £18,340 + Enhancements , Lowestoft
- UK climbs to sixth in league table of most charitable countries
- New Philanthropy Capital says charities' costs are an unreliable indicator of efficiency
- We could scrap the Charity Commission, says Labour's Margaret Hodge
- Charity Commission is failing in its key roles, says National Audit Office
- HMRC did not act on £1m of Gift Aid claimed wrongly 'in order to avoid embarrassment'
- Regulator 'too passive' in approach to Cup Trust, says report
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...