YouGov's Gavin Ellison assesses the impact of the international aid charity's recent media activity, which has been driven by the civil war in Syria and Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Charity communications and campaigning news, in-depth reporting, best practice, expert advice and discussion, including advertising & publicity, branding & reputation and web sites.
Search ThirdSectorJobs.co.uk for roles in charity campaigning, communications and PR.
Latest Communications Good Practice
Charlotte Beckett, head of digital at Four Communications, offers advice on making your charity stand out in just 140 characters
The communications director of Prostate Cancer UK says the charity made a decision to 'man up' and make its campaign appeal more directly to men
The learning disabilities and autism charity decided to present its report in the form of a travel blog
The cancer charity's national coffee mornings are a simple idea, but have raised more than £95m so far
Latest Communications News
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service fined £200,000 after hacker accessed information
- Muslim charity event at Legoland cancelled after threats from far-right groups
- Grayling attack on campaigning 'shows lack of understanding of the sector'
- Family and Childcare Trust 'did not break rules on political bias'
- Take part in Third Sector's annual workforce survey Charity Pulse
- Advertising watchdog to probe controversial Pancreatic Cancer Action campaign
- Major Scottish charities to launch campaign to tackle poverty crisis
- Electoral Commission begins survey of charity views on lobbying act
- Advert watchdog receives 119 complaints about Pancreatic Cancer Action campaign
Save The Children UK A short video reimagines the conflict in Syria as if it were happening to a child in London
Mary's Meals An animated film has been used by the children's charity to show how lack of food affects many young people around the world
Sightsavers The charity that works in developing countries to prevent blindness is asking the public to upload photographs to a mosaic on its website
British Red Cross The international aid charity sends Lego men to brave natural disasters in a new online game that is intended to show the importance of preparation
Cancer Research UK The cancer charity has developed a smartphone game app that has both fun and practical uses
How charities can measure and communicate their impact on their cause area.
Latest Communications Comment
- "Can't believe these guys are a charity," is the comment by Frank Close on a video he's put up on YouTube purporting to be a leak of a proposed National Trust advert. It features manic, speeded-up, Python-esque clips of (among other things) surfers...
Those in power don't perceive people who work for charities as influential voters: this should change, writes our columnist
The campaign is more about establishing another date in the fundraising calendar than raising awareness of alcohol-exacerbated diseases, writes the fundraising manager at the Kenward Trust
Campaigns on female genital mutilation, the dangers of Aids and the intractability of pancreatic cancer were launched recently: Matthew Sherrington argues that what works isn't always what's right, and that charities have to make hard decisions
The winners: Help for Heroes, Chance UK, Sir Terry Pratchett and Prison Reform Trust's Juliet Lyon.
Expert advice & case studies on using digital media to campaign for change and communicate with supporters.
Rachel Hawkes On Digital Media
Rachel Hawkes: Google+ is going to offer lots of opportunities for charities to connect with supporters
The new social media network might not be open to business just yet, but charities should already be planning how they can use it, says our online columnist
- Rachel Hawkes: Top 10 tips for social media success for charities - part two
- Rachel Hawkes: Top 10 tips for social media success for charities - part one
- Rachel Hawkes: Mainstream social networks have the potential to help raise funds
- Rachel Hawkes: social technologies can help charities fundraise and gain supporters
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Communications & Marketing Manager Mayor's Fund for London Circa £35,000, London Bridge
- Sales and Events Coordinator Wellcome Trust £23,000 per annum + benefits, London
- Departmental Administrator - Central Resources ActionAid £26,527 - £28,400pa , Central London
- Event Spaces Administrator Wellcome Trust £20,000 per annum + benefits , London
- Finance Manager (Maternity Cover role from May 2014) The Foyer Federation Annual salary for this position will be £32-35,000, London, Central London
- 'A lot of misunderstanding and a pervasive cynicism'
- Office for Civil Society consults on £40m fund to stop organisations closing
- Big Lottery Fund launches £10m programme to attract social investment
- Barnardo's trustees look into allegations against incoming chief Javed Khan
- Community Service Volunteers to close its learning centres in restructure
- Nearly all Charity Commission staff received a bonus last year
- Date: Wed 12 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: Birmingham
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...