The Health Lottery
Does it give enough to charity? What effect will it have on the National Lottery? The Health Lottery, owned by the media proprietor Richard Desmond, has attracted controversy since its launch - not least because of its unusual structure.
Andy Duncan, MD of the National Lottery operator, warns that its rival's methods will open the way to copycat operations from large gambling companies
Watchdog says the advert was irresponsible and likely to exploit vulnerable people, but lottery argues it was sufficiently 'light-hearted'
Win Wednesday tickets go on sale; National Lottery operator Camelot says the government should clarify the law
It says the court's rejection of its application for a judicial review of the Gambling Commission's handling of the Health Lottery was 'legally flawed'
Ministers must protect charitable income after High Court ruling on Health Lottery, says Sir Stephen Bubb, head of the chief executives body
National Lottery operator says it will appeal the 'legally flawed and unfair' judgment
The National Lottery operator has made an application for a judicial review of the Gambling Commission's decision to award licences to the Health Lottery
National Lottery operator Camelot asked for the review because it believes the Health Lottery contravenes the Gambling Act 2005
Advertising Standards Authority finds the promotions for the lottery, launched by the media owner Richard Desmond, were not misleading
Dianne Thompson of Camelot says the move is an attempt to prevent a precedent being set
The commission wrote to Camelot to say any review 'would have no realistic prospect of success'
Camelot says its research shows that the existence of its rival draws £1m a week away from the National Lottery
Jeremy Muller, a Health Lottery director, says proprietor Richard Desmond put in £35m
Supermarket will not say whether decision was influenced by pressure from Acevo or adverse publicity
It says it raised £8m for good causes in its first three months
Letter from Sir Stephen Bubb to nine supermarkets and other retailers says the new game gives a lower proportion of takings to good causes than the National Lottery
Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, raises concerns over the Health Lottery's impact on smaller society lotteries
Health Lottery says the figures prove its positive impact, but Camelot says it's too early to say
Money from ticket sales will be given to projects in different parts of the local lottery areas each week
The Health Lottery is intended to raise millions to fund projects to reduce health inequality
Judges have backed the Health Lottery and Ministers do not seem keen to change the law, says Stephen Cook
The Health Lottery, launched by Richard Desmond, has survived a High Court challenge but still faces regulatory questions, as Stephen Cook reports
Its complex 'external manager' system has its critics, but is spawning imitators
Is the Health Lottery a new chance to give - or a threat to the income of others?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development, Fundraising and Contracts Manager The Beth Johnson Foundation £30k + Benefits , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- UK Director Restless Development £41,370 gross per annum + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / Lambeth, London (Greater)
- HR Service Manager CAFOD £38,634 - £40,178 pa, London
- Insight Operations Manager ecdp £26,544 - £32,563 per annum , Chelmsford, Essex
- Head of Research Operations Arthritis Research UK £45,000 - £48,000 + Benefits, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Charity Commission board member will lead Birmingham schools investigation
- Blind Veterans UK chief executive Robert Leader dies
- Food bank charity reports surge in donations after critical newspaper report
- 'No credible evidence of criminality' by Lutfur Rahman, say police
- Sense examines allegations that one of its runners cheated in the London Marathon
- Government launches fund for volunteer-based projects for the elderly
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Wed 30 Apr 2014 - Wed 30 Apr 2014
- Venue: London
- Date: Wed 7 May 2014 - Wed 7 May 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...