The chief executive of the Online Centres Foundation, which helps communities tackle social and digital exclusion, talks about the steps the organisation took towards becoming a mutual
The latest attack on the government by Labour’s rejuvenated shadow civil society team concerns its programme on mutuals – the £10m drive launched by Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude to prompt a million public sector workers to spin out as mutuals or cooperatives by 2015. Here we group the key Third Sector analyses and news stories on the subject, with a selection of commentaries below.
Models used by the modern mutuals
Twenty-one organisations are in the government's pathfinder programme for mutuals. David Ainsworth looks at their progress and interviews the chair of the Mutuals Taskforce
Jane Gray, director of nursing and development at the mutual, talks about her experience turning the organisation into a social enterprise
The community interest company, which became a mutual in 2010, was named as one of the government's pathfinders
The man tasked with making the mutuals work believes labour-intensive services will be most suited to control by staff
- Gareth Thomas says government's employee-led mutuals project is failing
- Francis Maude unveils details of £10m mutuals programme
- Shadow minister hits out at plans to create mutuals
- Social enterprises are losing NHS contracts to the private sector, says Labour peer
- Tessa Jowell calls for 'community-led commissioning'
- MPs and Lords warn ministers over mutuals programme
- Your Square Mile launches mutual offering volunteers public liability insurance
Comment & Interviews
Craig Dearden-Phillips: Cry freedom - no third sector convert wants to return to the public domain Old-style public services will sooner or later run out of road and the third sector has to be part of the solution to the problem, says our columnist
Interview: Gareth Thomas The new shadow civil society minister tells John Plummer why he thinks the sector needs more protection from cuts
Interview: Nick Hurd Programmes and initiatives for the voluntary sector have multiplied since last year's Tory gathering focused on the big society. Kaye Wiggins asks the Minister for Civil Society about his priorities and John Plummer looks at the policy details
Editorial: Mutualisation is delicately poised There is tension in the government about whether to push ahead rapidly with public service reform, including mutualisation, says Stephen Cook
Interview: Lord Glasman The adviser to Ed Miliband says the last government funded the sector well but charities became distant from communities
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Manager Richmond Fellowship Up to £38K (depending upon experience), Islington, London
- New Business Manager - maternity cover West Kent Housing Association £40,425 per annum pro rata, Sevenoaks, Kent
- Business Director The Kenelm Youth Trust - Archdiocese of Birmingham £32,000 to £38,000, Alton, Staffordshire
- Chair of the Board of Trustees Herts Young Homeless Group Voluntary , Hatfield, Hertfordshire
- Fundraising Assistant - Product Management NSPCC £18,800 - £20,800 per annum, Weston House, London EC2A
- Leadership and skills review calls for graduate training scheme for the voluntary sector
- Statutory funding for charities 'will fall by £1.7bn between 2010/11 and 2017/18'
- Unite calls for an end to unpaid internships in charities
- The Co-operative Group and British Gas are among the big winners at the Business Charity Awards
- Public Safety Charitable Trust loses High Court case over underpaid business rates
- CSV launches volunteer placement scheme to help smaller charities in London measure impact
- Date: Tue 21 May 2013 - Tue 21 May 2013
- Venue: The Public, West Bromwich
- Date: Wed 22 May 2013 - Wed 22 May 2013
- Date: Wed 22 May 2013 - Wed 22 May 2013
- Venue: As You Like It Bar, Archbold Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1DB
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...