A personal view of the voluntary sector scene from a top charity lawyer. Rosamund is a partner in Bates, Wells & Braithwaite, a contributing author of many legal publications, and founder of the charity Poet in the City.
The Panel on the Independence of the Voluntary Sector should beware of tired arguments and widen its terms of reference, says our columnist
- Rosamund McCarthy: Is this the beginning of the end for the old certainties of campaigning?
- Rosamund McCarthy: Local newspapers set up as charities would help us with reform of the press
- Rosamund McCarthy: We all have responsibility for the recent riots
- Rosamund McCarthy: More checks and regulation will only choke the freedom of civil society
- Rosamund McCarthy: you say measure, I say imagine
- Rosamund McCarthy: The baiting of Lord Wei is unsavoury - he's no saint but he has much to offer
- Rosamund McCarthy: A new charity is like a new love - it burns with hope but needs support
- Rosamund McCarthy: We're hardwired to give, and it is driven by reciprocity, not by tax relief
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Supporter Development Manager ActionAid £44,320 - £47,448pa, Central London
- Development Director Selwyn College Circa £56k- £65k , Cambridge
- Director of Fundraising (maternity cover) Help the Hospices circa £70,000, Kings Cross, London
- Business Development Manager Shelter £37,509 per annum, plus excellent benefits , London, EC1
- Head of Policy & Communications PFRA (Public Fundraising Regulatory Association Ltd) c£50,000, SE1 0NZ
- BLF sets up £150m community enterprise fund
- Ministers will legislate to prevent tax relief for charities being used for tax avoidance
- Comic Relief invested millions in companies contrary to its mission, TV report alleges
- Save the Children 'avoided criticising corporate donors', former head of news alleges
- More than half of people 'would donate more if the process was easier'
- Government to introduce new tax relief for social investment
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...