It's a rallying cry to the business world, but will sharpen the challenges that charities face, writes our columnist
Social enterprise news, in-depth reporting, best practice, expert advice and discussion, including social finance, taxation, the definition of social nterprise and the Social Enterprise Mark.
Search ThirdSectorJobs.co.uk for social enterprise roles.
Latest Social Enterprise In Depth
Instead of joining the voluntary sector by getting a job, a number of people are doing it by founding their own social enterprises. Alex Blyth meets the start-ups
Awarded to a voluntary organisation that has run a project that has had a substantial impact on national or international life
Awarded to the social enterprise or charity trading arm that has made a significant difference to beneficiaries through its ability to generate income to meet its social goals
Latest social Enterprise News
- Cameron launches consultation on social investment tax relief
- Consultation launched on 'development impact bond'
- Big Lottery Fund to help charities access social investment revenue streams
- Spin-outs with only 25 per cent staff ownership 'should not be called mutuals'
- Sell shares in your trading arms, says Social Stock Exchange chief
- Third Sector Excellence Awards now open for entries
- 'Hopeless commissioning' stops charities providing NHS services, says minister
- Only 60 per cent of voluntary sector providers 'intend to stay in the Work Programme'
- Big Society Capital founding chair to step down at the end of the year
- Community group is the first to use 'right to bid' to buy a pub
Business Model: Hexham Community Partnership The trust acquired a local cinema and uses the income from it to carry out regeneration projects
Business model: Seahouses Development Trust The Seahouses Development Trust was created in 1996 to provide economic and social regeneration services in the parish of North Sunderland, a remote village north of Newcastle.
Business Model: Star Wards Star Wards helps staff on mental health wards in hospitals to develop services to improve their morale and relationships with patients.
Business Model: Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre sells repaired and refurbished domestic appliances and furniture, with reduced prices for people on low incomes. It also offers on-the-job training for unemployed or disadvantaged people.
Business model: Stramash Stramash provides outdoor activities for children and adults in Oban in Argyll
Latest Social Enterprise Comment
Charity lawyer Simon Steeden says it would enable social businesses to buy from each other and expand the social economy
Many charities these days are looking for people with innovative ideas, but should be wary of trying to grow their own, says our columnist
As the space between charities and social businesses gets smaller, Stephen Cook asks if the tax regime should be reconsidered
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Campaigns Officer UKHCA Circa £34,000, South West London
- Chief Executive STEPS Dependent upon experience, Cheshire
- Senior Development Manager Welsh National Opera (WNO) £26,034 - £28,927 per annum, Cardiff
- Chief Executive Southampton Solent Students' Union Salary range £37,894 - £42,652 per annum plus attractive benefits, Southampton
- Corporate Relations Co-ordinator Peterborough Environment City Trust £24,000-£28,000 per annum, Peterborough
- Charity that owed more than £350k to HMRC closes
- Data on charities' income and spending to be made public from March 2014
- HM Prison Peterborough social impact bond has led to a fall in reconvictions, official figures show
- Local authorities should be able to 'de-commission charities at will', says council deputy
- Ministry of Justice launches website to connect offenders with mentoring charities
- Government appoints first social value ambassador
- Date: Wed 19 Jun 2013 - Wed 19 Jun 2013
- Venue: Hyatt Regency London, The Churchill Hotel, 30 Portman Square, London, W1H 7BH
- Date: Wed 19 Jun 2013 - Wed 19 Jun 2013
- Date: Thu 20 Jun 2013 - Fri 21 Jun 2013
- Venue: Central London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...