Patrick Crawford, chief executive of the social lender, says loans to projects such as Whalley Community Hydro will increase significantly in the next few years
Social enterprise news, in-depth reporting, best practice, expert advice and discussion, including social finance, taxation, the definition of social nterprise and the Social Enterprise Mark.
Search ThirdSectorJobs.co.uk for social enterprise roles.
Latest Social Enterprise In Depth
To build a new financial market means supporting investors who take a long-term, values-oriented and client-centred view. Not-for-profits should resist the temptation of attractive rates at high-street banks, writes Rodney Schwartz
Unless someone actually buys their products and services, they'll struggle to pay back investment, writes Nick Temple
Instead of joining the voluntary sector by getting a job, a number of people are doing it by founding their own social enterprises. Alex Blyth meets the start-ups
Latest social Enterprise News
- Unity Trust Bank and CDFA behind crowdfunding plan for local social enterprises
- First eight ventures under 'readiness fund' have secured deals worth £35m
- Trust backed to provide funds for restoration of at-risk buildings
- Social investment tax relief rate will be set at 30 per cent
- Acevo lends support to commission on social investment
- Charities invited to apply for up to £1m from £20m fund launched today
- Big Society Capital lends £1m to CIC for investment in care organisations
- First local authority youth services department spins out to become mutual
- Deloitte offers £1m worth of staff time and skills to social enterprises
- Social sector organisations 'need more guidance about the social value act'
Business Model: Hexham Community Partnership The trust acquired a local cinema and uses the income from it to carry out regeneration projects
Business model: Seahouses Development Trust The Seahouses Development Trust was created in 1996 to provide economic and social regeneration services in the parish of North Sunderland, a remote village north of Newcastle.
Business Model: Star Wards Star Wards helps staff on mental health wards in hospitals to develop services to improve their morale and relationships with patients.
Business Model: Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre sells repaired and refurbished domestic appliances and furniture, with reduced prices for people on low incomes. It also offers on-the-job training for unemployed or disadvantaged people.
Business model: Stramash Stramash provides outdoor activities for children and adults in Oban in Argyll
Latest Social Enterprise Comment
- When you quit your job, there's always the question of what to do next. Steve Wyler, soon to be leaving his role as head of Locality, the network for community-led organisations, revealed at an event last week that he might write a book about "the ...
Do not mistake the fallen giants of banking for the mainstream of business in this country, writes our columnist
It's a rallying cry to the business world, but will sharpen the challenges that charities face, writes our columnist
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development, Fundraising and Contracts Manager The Beth Johnson Foundation £30k + Benefits , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- UK Director Restless Development £41,370 gross per annum + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / Lambeth, London (Greater)
- HR Service Manager CAFOD £38,634 - £40,178 pa, London
- Insight Operations Manager ecdp £26,544 - £32,563 per annum , Chelmsford, Essex
- Head of Research Operations Arthritis Research UK £45,000 - £48,000 + Benefits, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Debra Allcock Tyler questions experience of new Charity Commission chief executive
- Charity Commission appoints Paula Sussex as its next chief executive
- Charity Commission board member will lead Birmingham schools investigation
- Blind Veterans UK chief executive Robert Leader dies
- Bristol youth charity insists Banksy art piece was intended as a gift
- 'No credible evidence of criminality' by Lutfur Rahman, say police
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Wed 23 Apr 2014 - Wed 23 Apr 2014
- Venue: Westminster
- Date: Wed 30 Apr 2014 - Wed 30 Apr 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...