Begun and funded by the Community and Voluntary Sector Association, and chaired by John Kingston, the commission will examine how sector bodies access social finance
Social enterprise news, in-depth reporting, best practice, expert advice and discussion, including social finance, taxation, the definition of social nterprise and the Social Enterprise Mark.
Search ThirdSectorJobs.co.uk for social enterprise roles.
Latest Social Enterprise In Depth
Unless someone actually buys their products and services, they'll struggle to pay back investment, writes Nick Temple
Instead of joining the voluntary sector by getting a job, a number of people are doing it by founding their own social enterprises. Alex Blyth meets the start-ups
Awarded to a voluntary organisation that has run a project that has had a substantial impact on national or international life
Latest social Enterprise News
- Charities invited to apply for up to £1m from £20m fund launched today
- Big Society Capital lends £1m to CIC for investment in care organisations
- First local authority youth services department spins out to become mutual
- Deloitte offers £1m worth of staff time and skills to social enterprises
- Social sector organisations 'need more guidance about the social value act'
- Charities Aid Foundation offers interest-free loan scheme to social enterprise start-ups
- Sector is 'on the brink of a social entrepreneurship revolution'
- Social enterprise partnership pilot launched in Liverpool
- Nesta Impact Investment fund makes its first contributions
- Allia raises £4.2m bond funding for Cambridge social enterprise centre
Business Model: Hexham Community Partnership The trust acquired a local cinema and uses the income from it to carry out regeneration projects
Business model: Seahouses Development Trust The Seahouses Development Trust was created in 1996 to provide economic and social regeneration services in the parish of North Sunderland, a remote village north of Newcastle.
Business Model: Star Wards Star Wards helps staff on mental health wards in hospitals to develop services to improve their morale and relationships with patients.
Business Model: Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre Croydon Appliance Reuse Centre sells repaired and refurbished domestic appliances and furniture, with reduced prices for people on low incomes. It also offers on-the-job training for unemployed or disadvantaged people.
Business model: Stramash Stramash provides outdoor activities for children and adults in Oban in Argyll
Latest Social Enterprise Comment
Do not mistake the fallen giants of banking for the mainstream of business in this country, writes our columnist
It's a rallying cry to the business world, but will sharpen the challenges that charities face, writes our columnist
Charity lawyer Simon Steeden says it would enable social businesses to buy from each other and expand the social economy
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Director of Business Development Law for Life 28 hours a week, Waterloo, London
- Director of Finance and Administration Afghanaid circa £45,000, Afghanistan
- Head of Policy, Research and Public Affairs Shelter £49,053 pa plus excellent benefits, London, EC1
- Public Affairs Officer British Heart Foundation £28,000 p/a + 30 days holiday and benefits, London NW1
- Fundraiser Spires £25,000 (negotiable for the right candidate), Streatham
- Office for Civil Society consults on £40m fund to stop organisations closing
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service fined £200,000 after hacker accessed information
- Barnardo's trustees look into allegations against incoming chief Javed Khan
- Grayling attack on campaigning 'shows lack of understanding of the sector'
- Cabinet Office awards grant to Charityworks to develop sector talent
- Muslim charity event at Legoland cancelled after threats from far-right groups
- Date: Wed 12 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: Birmingham
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...