Big Issue: Upper Tribunal ruling on public benefit and private schools
Analysis and reactions to the recent ruling by the Upper Tribunal on fee-charging schools and public benefit
Analysis & Reaction
Kaye Wiggins assesses four key sections of the long-awaited ruling and finds that it upholds the legal principles put forward by the Charity Commission while finding fault with some of its guidance. In a related article, we look at what the decision ...
Analysis: What does the Upper Tribunal's decision on independent schools and public benefit mean in practice?
Kaye Wiggins and David Ainsworth look at what the ruling means for the Charity Commission, fee-charging schools, charities in general, and the political debate
Ruling on fee-charging schools says "it is entirely up to trustees how they decide to operate their school"
The Charity Commission has released a statement to counter claims by the Independent Schools Council that its guidance on fee-charging schools has been overturned
Different interpretations are emerging of last Friday's key decision on public benefit and private schools
Charity lawyers talk variously of a victory, a defeat and a score draw
Comment on the Upper Tribunal report
The regulator needs to be more relaxed and to learn to take setbacks in its stride, says Nicola Evans, a senior associate at Bircham Dyson Bell
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development, Fundraising and Contracts Manager The Beth Johnson Foundation £30k + Benefits , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- UK Director Restless Development £41,370 gross per annum + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / Lambeth, London (Greater)
- HR Service Manager CAFOD £38,634 - £40,178 pa, London
- Insight Operations Manager ecdp £26,544 - £32,563 per annum , Chelmsford, Essex
- Head of Research Operations Arthritis Research UK £45,000 - £48,000 + Benefits, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Debra Allcock Tyler questions experience of new Charity Commission chief executive
- Charity Commission appoints Paula Sussex as its next chief executive
- Charity Commission board member will lead Birmingham schools investigation
- Blind Veterans UK chief executive Robert Leader dies
- Bristol youth charity insists Banksy art piece was intended as a gift
- Charity Bank gives £400,000 loan to community-owned renewable energy scheme
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Fri 16 May 2014
- Venue: Leeds
- Date: Wed 23 Apr 2014 - Wed 23 Apr 2014
- Venue: Westminster
- Date: Wed 30 Apr 2014 - Wed 30 Apr 2014
- Venue: London
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...