The Work Programme
Hailed as the best hope for charities to expand their share of government contracts, the Work Programme has attracted a poor press, including reports by the National Audit Office and the NCVO: read the evolving story and catch up on interviews and analysis.
Analysis & Opinion
Kaye Wiggins spends a day with one charity delivering the government's welfare-to-work scheme and hears how it is coping with its contract and the jobseekers who come its way
Should jobseekers who volunteer for charities be told to work elsewhere for free? Kaye Wiggins reports
The sector's involvement in the government programme is starting to look like a car crash, writes Stephen Cook
The voluntary sector has done less well than it hoped out of the government's scheme for getting people off welfare into work. Chris Grayling, the minister for employment, tells Kaye Wiggins why he believes the Work Programme is a valuable opportunit...
Charities give their feedback on the terms and conditions of the government's scheme aimed at getting the long-term unemployed back into work
From making it easier to run a charity to getting more resources into the sector, Kaye Wiggins looks at what the government has done so far and gathers together sector reaction
Is the sector really benefiting from the Work Programme? John Plummer looks at what's in it for voluntary organisations
- Work Programme framework should be adapted but not scrapped, report concludes
- Volunteer centre withdraws from Work Programme because of restrictions on service delivery
- DWP ordered to name charities and companies providing 'workfare' placements
- Work Programme 'not helping the most disadvantaged unemployed people'
- Specialist subcontractors involved in Work Programme 'need more protection'
- Charity transfers Work Programme contract because of a lack of referrals
- Boycott Workfare targets charities that support government's mandatory work scheme
- Public Accounts Committee calls on the government to tackle 'creaming and parking'
- 'Parking' of hardest Work Programme cases with charities is endemic, says study
- Contracts for government projects should be more transparent, committee is told
- Charities delivering services for the Work Programme are 'poorly supported'
- Navca calls for review of the Work Programme to stop large contractors 'abusing local charities'
- Acevo assembles review group to look at poor Work Programme statistics
- Number of Work Programme charity subcontractors increases slightly, figures show
- Work Programme prime contractors 'should give more financial help to charity subcontractors'
- Most charity subcontractors say Work Programme contracts are 'at risk of failure'
- Navca demands improvements in Work Programme after MPs voice fraud fears
- Government urged to change course on back-to-work programmes
- Work Programme prime providers pass the Merlin Standard
- Pressure group urges charities to stop using 'workfare' placements
- Work Programme subcontractor to cease trading due to lack of working capital
- Community Jobs Scotland 'outperforms the Work Programme'
- Fifteen sector organisations left Work Programme in second half of last year
- Action for Blind People spent £73,000 of staff time on Work Programme
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Supporter Development Manager ActionAid £44,320 - £47,448pa, Central London
- Development Director Selwyn College Circa £56k- £65k , Cambridge
- Director of Fundraising (maternity cover) Help the Hospices circa £70,000, Kings Cross, London
- Business Development Manager Shelter £37,509 per annum, plus excellent benefits , London, EC1
- Head of Policy & Communications PFRA (Public Fundraising Regulatory Association Ltd) c£50,000, SE1 0NZ
- BLF sets up £150m community enterprise fund
- Charity Commission could be given new power to shut down charities
- Ministers will legislate to prevent tax relief for charities being used for tax avoidance
- More than half of people 'would donate more if the process was easier'
- Government to introduce new tax relief for social investment
- NCVO launches scheme to promote volunteering in care homes
Third Sector Insight
Predicting Future Donor Behaviour to Maximise Funds (Document)
The majority of traditional charity donors are ...
A Digital Face-to-Face Revolution (Document)
Face-to-face fundraising is without doubt the m...
UK Corporate Citizenship In The 21st Century (Document)
This expert report asks 'What role should ...