The commission, which was set up in the wake of the fundraising scandals of 2015, has closed and the task of supporting the delivery of its legacy and recommendations has moved to the IoF.
On Wednesday, at the IoF’s fundraising convention in London, the commission released a report summarising its work over the past 18 months and making 526 suggestions to improve the relationship between donors and fundraisers.
In taking on the commission’s legacy, the IoF said in a statement, it was also promising to maintain the hundreds of volunteers involved in the commission’s work by forming a special interest group on the donor experience.
It said it would also appoint a representative of the continuing work on donor experience to its Standards Advisory Board and introduce an award for Best Donor Experience to the National Fundraising Awards next year.
Richard Spencer, director of the commission, would stand down from the role and return to being a consultant, a spokeswoman for the commission confirmed.
Amanda Bringans, chair of the IoF, said: "The institute is delighted to be taking on the leadership of the legacy of the commission moving forward.
"We are committed to ensure the outputs last and are promoted and updated. We have already written to chief executives from Acevo and the National Council for Voluntary Organisations to form an advisory panel, to steer the future legacy of the commission by working with the other sector bodies."
She thanked everyone involved with the commission for their work so far.
Spencer said in a statement: "Many of the commission’s recommendations go beyond fundraising, and an advisory group is being constituted to ensure that these aspects are implemented."
He said the commission’s full outputs and reports were now available as free online resources for the sector.