Majority agree with Commission's role investigating terror links

More than half of Third Sector Online readers agree with the Government's plans to get the Charity Commission more involved in investigating links to terrorism.

Of those who took part in last week’s poll, 58 percent answered yes to the question: Should the Charity Commission have a greater role in investigating links between charities and terrorist groups? The remaining 42 per cent disagree.

Last week, Charity Commission chief executive Andrew Hind told Third Sector that he had no concerns about a government consultation document that tells the regulator to boost its investigative capacity to protect the sector from terrorist abuse.

However, Helen Donohoe, head of campaigns and communication at the NCVO, accused the Government of fuelling mistrust of charities. "It would be great if the commission had more resources, but we want more of the same - not a load of extra responsibilities," she said.

This week’s poll asks: Does the voluntary sector need an independent research body similar to the Institute of Fiscal Studies? Have your say by completing the poll on the Third Sector Online homepage.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus