The anti-poverty charity War on Want has said a Sunday Telegraph story claiming the charity had been stripped of government funding over alleged antisemitic remarks was "a complete fabrication".
The story, which appeared yesterday, claimed the Department for International Development "pulled" the charity’s funding after hearing comments made by speakers at an "Israeli Apartheid Week" rally sponsored by War on Want in February.
The Sunday Telegraph story said it had heard secret recordings of meetings sponsored by War on Want, where speakers allegedly made antisemitic comments, demanded the destruction of Israel and expressed support for terrorism.
It said DfID had given War on Want £260,000 in funding over the past two years, something it describe as "embarrassing" given recent government moves to ban local authorities and other public bodies from implementing boycotts of Israel.
But DfID said it had not offered War on Want any funding since 2015.
According to the Charity Commission, the charity, which had an income of £2.1m against spending of £1.9m in the year ending 31 March 2015, was given about £260,000 funding by DfID across the 2014/15 financial year.
Third Sector understands, however, that the charity did not receive funding in the 2015/16 financial year and has not applied to DfID for funding since 2012.
John Hilary, executive director of War on Want, said: "The story in The Sunday Telegraph is a complete fabrication.
"War on Want has not sought any UK government support for its operations for a number of years now, so it is absurd to suggest that we have had our funding 'pulled'.
"The insinuation that we have been criticised by the government for standing up for the rights of the Palestinian people is equally bogus."
He said the charity would be contacting The Sunday Telegraph to "help it set the record straight".
A spokesman for DfID said: "DfID does not fund War on Want."
No one from The Sunday Telegraph was available for comment.