Five citizens advice bureaux in Glasgow will remain open after accepting a new funding offer, according to Citizens Advice Scotland.
But CAS said the bureaux have now agreed "in principle" a three-year deal with a consortium called Glasgow Advice Agency, which had been awarded the council contract to provide advice services.
The deal represents a cut in funding compared with what the CABs had previously received from the council. But the council has agreed to provide a top-up of £250,000 a year to maintain the bureaux at current funding levels.
This will represent a real-terms funding cut because it will not keep pace with inflation, Citizens Advice Scotland said.
Susan McPhee, acting chief executive of Citizens Advice Scotland, said that the CABs – in Bridgeton, Castlemilk, Pollok, Easterhouse and Parkhead – had been seeking a subcontract from GAA since 2011.
She said they took the decision to announce closures when they had still not received any formal offer with only three weeks to go before their existing funding ran out.
McPhee said that GAA had come forward with an offer of a subcontract late that night.
"The bureaux have been considering the details of this offer for the last few days," she said on Friday. "I am delighted to announce today that the boards of all five bureaux have agreed in principle to accept this new offer, and that as a result they will be able to remain open for the next three years.
"This is excellent news for the people of Glasgow, who will continue to have a CAB service offering free, impartial, confidential advice."