Age Concern should be compensated for ambulance destroyed in riots, says Hurd

The Minister for Civil Society says the High Street Fund should help pay for the vehicle destroyed by a petrol bomb in Leicester

Nick Hurd
Nick Hurd

A local Age Concern should be compensated for the loss of an ambulance destroyed during last month’s riots, Nick Hurd, the Minister for Civil Society, has told parliament.

Age Concern Leicestershire & Rutland had one ambulance destroyed and another badly damaged by a petrol bomb thrown by a gang of hooded youths. Its efforts to raise £45,000 to replace the ambulance have fallen short.

Speaking in parliament last week, Hurd told MPs he understood damages were recoverable from the High Street Fund, a charity set up to help shops and businesses damaged by the riots.

He was responding to a question from Jonathan Ashworth, Labour MP for Leicester South, who asked Hurd to "look urgently" at providing compensation.

Hurd also said he would be happy to meet Ashworth and representatives of Age Concern "if there are continued problems with this issue".

The charity, which is the country’s largest Age Concern with 550 staff, has tried to claim the £45,000 replacement cost for the destroyed vehicle from various funds but has been told it does not meet the eligibility criteria.

It also opened an appeal, which has generated £28,000, including £20,000 from Leicester dairy Kirby & West. Tony Donovan, executive director of the charity, told Third Sector the appeal had run its course and fallen short of its target.

"I’m very worried about the situation," he said. "If we don’t get the money back we could close some day centres."


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Already registered?
Sign in
Follow us on:

Latest Fundraising Jobs

RSS Feed

Third Sector Insight

Sponsored webcasts, surveys and expert reports from Third Sector partners


Expert Hub

Insurance advice from Markel

Charity property: could you be entitled to a huge VAT saving?

Charity property: could you be entitled to a huge VAT saving?

Partner Content: Presented By Markel

When a property is being constructed, VAT is charged at the standard rate. But if you're a charity, health body, educational institution, housing association or finance house, the work may well fall into a category that justifies zero-rating - and you could make a massive saving