Barnardo's finds no evidence to back allegations against Javed Khan

The charity dismisses newspaper claims that its incoming chief executive was involved in an armed dispute in Pakistan

Javed Khan
Javed Khan

Barnardo’s has announced that it has found "no evidence to substantiate allegations" against its incoming chief executive Javed Khan.

The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported in January that Khan, who is due to join Barnardo’s in May from his current position as chief executive of Victim Support, had used a group of men armed with automatic weapons to threaten rivals during a land dispute in Pakistan.

At the time, Khan described the allegations in a personal statement as "either false or a gross distortion of the truth". He denied threatening anybody during the incident, which occurred during a private trip, and denied that he or any of his associates had been armed.

Barnardo’s said last week that it was looking into the allegations after Victim Support said its investigation had found no evidence to substantiate them.

Barnardo’s said today in a statement that its investigation had "found no evidence to substantiate the allegations published in the Mail on Sunday".

A spokewoman for Barnardo’s would not disclose any details about the charity’s inquiry. "The trustees had the responsibility to look into the issues," she said. "Exactly how they did that we are not going to be drawn on.".

Tony Cohen, Barnardo’s chair of trustees, said in a statement today: "Barnardo’s trustees now regard this matter as closed and look forward to Javed’s arrival in May."

Khan said in a statement that he now wanted to focus on preparing to lead the charity.

"I understand that Barnardo’s trustees needed to look into these allegations to their satisfaction and I have supported them in doing so," he said.

Annette Rawstrone recommends

Victim Support

Read more

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Already registered?
Sign in