The Charity Commission is looking into a children’s cancer charity that could be linked to Kevin Wright, who was last week found guilty of stealing more than £171,000 of donations raised for children with cancer.
Wright was convicted last Thursday at Nottingham Crown Court on two counts of fraud and 10 counts of theft.
A spokeswoman for the commission said the regulator had been made aware of possible links between Wright and the charity Kids Integrated Cancer Treatment.
KICT, which registered with the commission in 2009, lists providing financial support for families who have children suffering from cancer among its objects on the commission’s website. The most recent accounts filed with the commission for 2012 show the charity had an income of £61,064 and spent £59,788.
The spokeswoman said the commission had been made aware of possible links between Wright and the charity prior to his conviction but the police and the Crown Prosecution Service had asked it not to contact the charity so that the case against Wright was not jeopardised.
Nottingham Crown Court heard that Wright, 49, from Amington, near Tamworth in Staffordshire, raised almost £1m in donations for several funds between May 2005 and December 2008, but took £800,000 for his own purposes.
This included £171,500 from the Bobby Wright Cancer Fighting Fund, set up to raise money for treatment for his son Bobby, who survived after being diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer, at the age of three in 2005. Donations to the fund included £60,000 from the charities Caudwell Children and Janet Nash.
The commission spokeswoman said: "The commission is now considering whether there are any regulatory concerns in connection with KICT following the conviction of Wright, who is due to be sentenced on 5 September."
Nobody from KICT responded to telephone messages and emails from Third Sector asking for comment.