This briefing will be held under Chatham House Rules to encourage an honest and open discussion.
08:30 Registration and networking
09:00 Welcome from Third Sector and chair's opening remarks
Judy Smith, Founder & President, Smith & Company
09:05 Presentation and Q&A: Charity sector crisis - the role of the Commission to improve public trust and confidence
- How does the Charity Commission engage with charities during a crisis and what are the regulators expectations from industry?
- Industry collaboration to improve the reputation of the sector as a whole
Polly Kettenacker, Deputy head of external affairs , Charity Commission
09:25 Presentation and Q&A: Planning ahead- how to avoid a reputational catastrophe
- What lessons can be learned from other cases
- The role of trustees vs the executive
- Principles of good crisis PR management
Tim Toulmin, Director, Alder
09:45 Interview with the media- working with media in the midst of a crisis
- How to manage conversations during a crisis
- The traits and tactics for an effective media interview
Manveen Rana, Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC
Sean O'Neill, Chief Reporter, The Times
10:10 Case study & Q&A: Muscular Dystrophy UK- when your charity ambassador goes rogue
- What happened during the first hour of the crisis unfolding- responding on social and mainstream media
- How to avoid a crisis- maintaining and monitoring your risk register and ensuring your trustees are brought into it
- Lessons learnt and key takeaways from the crisis- what would I do differently?
Nikki Hill, Director of Marketing and Communications, Muscular Dystrophy UK
10:25 Interactive crisis training: how do you respond in the first hour of a crisis?
A situation has just unfolded which, unless dealt with effectively, risks damaging the reputation of your charity. The crisis has spanned multiple domains; social media, national media, and impacts multiple stakeholders. During this session, delegates will be presented with a fictional situation and crisis response plan, attendees will then go through a series of polling questions on steps they would take in the immediate aftermath of a crisis- are you prepared because the clock is ticking?
Patrick Olszowski, Founder, Outrageous Impact
10:55 Presentation: Managing External Scrutiny Internally: How to ensure your organisation survives a crisis
- The principles of communicating internally during a crisis: who, what, when, why and how?
- Preparing your internal channels ahead of a crisis
- Ensuring team wellbeing
- Communicating internally post-crisis
Claire Davidson, Partner, DRD Partnership