The Disasters Emergency Committee has launched an appeal to help the survivors of the earthquake and tsunami that struck the Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Friday, leaving at least 1,300 people dead.
The DEC estimates that the magnitude 7.4 earthquake and the 18-foot high, 400-mile-an-hour tsunami has affected as many as 1.5 million people, leaving 200,000 in need of clean water, food, medical care and shelter.
The Indonesia Tsunami Appeal is the first the charity – which is made up of 14 of the largest international aid charities, including Oxfam, the British Red Cross, Islamic Relief and Save the Children – has launched this year.
It is also the first appeal launched by the DEC since Action Against Hunger joined the coalition last month.
An advert for the appeal will be shown on all major UK broadcasters, including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky, the DEC said.
Saleh Saeed, chief executive of the DEC, said: "DEC member charities and their local partners are working closely with the Indonesian authorities to get aid to those who urgently need it, as well as helping survivors to cope with the trauma of the past few days.
"As the full scale of the disaster unfolds, they are providing emergency relief and are ready to help devastated communities to rebuild their lives.
"There is an urgent need for clean drinking water, food, medical care and shelter. Please give generously and let’s save the survivors."
Donors will be able to give on the DEC website, by text, over the phone or at any high-street bank or post office.