Good.ly offers charities revenue from Twitter updates

Dog's Trust and Crisis sign up for deal that splits commission on online sales

A new online service will enable charities to raise money through microblogging website Twitter.

The URL-shortening service good.ly, which launched yesterday, (Mon) allows Twitter users to post links to retail websites in their "tweets", short updates of up to 140 characters.

Charities receive a 55 per cent share of the commission from retailers when other Twitter users buy products from their sites. The other 45 per cent goes to good.ly.

So far, dog rehoming charity Dog's Trust and homelessness charity Crisis are the only voluntary groups listed as potential beneficiaries on the good.ly site, but it is open to applications from charities that have a large Twitter following.  

The founder of good.ly, entrepreneur Alicia Navarro, said she hoped in future the site would be integrated with the main Twitter page.

She added that if a large number of charities applied to receive funds through the scheme, they would be rotated on a monthly basis.

"Twitter is a great service and has huge potential to raise money for charity," she said. "This service makes it easy for people to help charities raise funds without spending any money themselves."

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus