Ninth man arrested in Syria charity fraud investigation

New development follows arrest and bailing of eight men after the seizure of cash worth about £45,000 at the Port of Dover in December last year

Port of Dover
Port of Dover

A ninth man has been arrested as part of an investigation into charity fraud with potential terrorist links to Syria.

Kent Police said it arrested a 37-year-old man from Derby on Wednesday and he was taken to a police station in Kent for questioning. He was subsequently bailed until September.

On Tuesday, eight men were arrested in connection with the same investigation and were also subsequently bailed without charge until September pending further enquiries.

The arrests follow the seizure of about £45,000 in euros, dollars and pounds at the Port of Dover on 23 December last year.

Three men from east and south-east London, two from Derby and one each from Dewsbury, Harlow and Huddersfield were all bailed after being arrested and questioned at police stations around England.

In a statement earlier this week, detective chief superintendent Chris Hogben of Kent Police said the arrests were "part of an ongoing investigation into the fraudulent use of funds from four UK-based charities".

Kent Police has not named the charities involved. A spokeswoman for the Charity Commission said the regulator was working with the police but was unable to comment further.

Ian Griggs recommends

Charity Commission

Read more

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Already registered?
Sign in