- What does your job involve?
I'm responsible for everything financial in the organisation. I am also company secretary and in charge of IT, property and maintenance. I oversee the budget of £7m-£8m a year.
- What was your first job in charity?
As finance director at Centrepoint, from 1993. I joined Depaul in 2007.
- Why did you choose the organisation you're with?
It provides accommodation for hard-to-reach groups such as ex-offenders and people with mental health difficulties - I feel it does really important work.
- What's the most challenging part of the job?
Public expenditure cuts.
- What's the most interesting part of the job?
Meeting the young people. It's amazing how positive they are despite the problems they've got.
- What's the worst experience you've had in the job?
Surviving the recession. There was a sudden drop in our income. That was difficult because it was so unexpected, and because there wasn't time to adjust before the year-end.
- What's the most useful bit of advice you've ever had?
Promise little and deliver more. As FD, it's your job to be prudent.
Interview by David Ainsworth