"Most NGOs oppose poverty, and the net effect of this war will be more poverty."
- Steve Tibbett of War on Want , Hot Issue, 22 January
"Some charities act as a barrier to promoting disabled people. Their whole ethos is that they exist because disabled people are incapable."
- Andy Rickell, British Council of Disabled People, Hot Issue, 19 February
"This is a slur on parents, including my wife and I, who have found that a judiciously applied smack can help teach a child right from wrong"
- Conservative MP Gary Streeter on NSPCC's anti-smacking campaign, News, 12 March
"Red Nose Day stands in the same relation to real charity as a paedophile's sexual obsession stands in relation to real love for a child."
- Will Self, They Said It, 19 March
"The new director-general fails to understand that the most important work of the RSPCA is done from dirty back gardens."
- Angela Walden, former RSPCA member, News, 7 May
"Clare Short has been a forceful and forthright advocate of international development issues, but forthright is not the same as right."
- Barry Coates, World Development Movement, Hot Issue, 21 May
"The concept of gentleman amateurs running charities is close to meltdown."
- Stephen Bubb, Acevo, They Said It, 28 May
"Why does every trustee board elect one loudmouth who insists on delivering an oration at each meeting?"
- Kenneth Hoffman, US fundraising consultant, Thinkpiece, 4 June.